Friday, January 23, 2015

Get up and do something!

Days to the wedding: 78 

Weight Lost: Didn't weigh myself this morning, so to my knowledge...still the same?

Happy Friday! Finally we made it!

So, I'm just going to fill my readers in on how my blog works.  I usually write the blog throughout the day that I am talking about...so as I am writing right now it is actually Thursday, which made saying "Happy Friday" extremely awkward for me because it's not Friday and I still have work tomorrow :(

I've gotten word that some guests have begun to receive invitations to our wedding! And Eric, if you are reading this...they will not let you have the kid's meal regardless of your mental age.

When I woke up Thursday morning, I was feeling a little sore, but good sore.  Tony told me he felt like I was different this time than any other time I've been on a diet.  He sees me working out regularly... and even pointed out that I marched in place for an hour and called that "Super serious".  It made me feel good that he's noticed my efforts and admired me for it.  Another token for motivation!  When I finally trekked downstairs to find breakfast I decided I would let Tony have the oatmeal and figure out something new to make for breakfast...

Breakfast: (Skinny!) Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie - 385 Calories




I found today's breakfast recipe on Pinterest, but made my own modifications and entered it into MyFitnessPal to come up with my calorie count.


Here is my version:

Ingredients: 
  • 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats
  • 1 Banana cut into sections (Freeze if you'd like)
  • 1 Cup Almond Milk (I used original with reduced sugar)
  • 1 tsp Imitation Vanilla Extract (It's all we had + its less calories?)
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 T Honey
  • 1/4 Cup Raisins (Optional)

Directions:
  1. First, I put the oats in my Ninja blender and processed them until they were almost a flour consistency.  This is important for a smooth smoothie!
  2. Next, I added the rest of my ingredients to the blender and let it blend for a minute or two.  I stopped around the time when I stopped hearing the blades hitting raisin and banana speed bumps.  
  3. Finally, I poured my mixture into a 1 pint mason jar, popped the lid back on and put it in the fridge until I was ready to enjoy it.
So, most smoothie recipes I've seen have required you to freeze your fruit ahead of time.  I think this is a great idea because then you aren't watering it down with ice and you don't lose the thick and creamy consistency we love about smoothies.   Obviously this morning I didn't have time for that, so I took a shortcut and used a fresh banana and stuck my smoothie in the fridge while I got ready for work.  When I was ready to head out the door I stuck a straw in it and had it on the road! I wouldn't recommend making them ahead of time and storing them in the fridge because I feel like they smoothie would start to separate, but I did find another link here that has great instruction and tips on how to prepare parts of your smoothie ahead of time.  For example, I could make a ton of ground up oatmeal (And add some chia seeds for more nutritional value) to save a little time.  I have a couple more recipes in my queue to try, so stay tuned!


Lunch: Salad in a jar (Again)


Dinner: Tasting at the Abbington! 


We had the pleasure of attending our food tasting at the reception hall.  We tried two soups, two salads and two entrees.  I don't think I overate... but I wanted to!  Our final picks were Tortellini and Escarole Soup, a Field of Green Salad with spiced pecans, Gorgonzola cheese and a Fig balsamic dressing, a lemon sorbet intermezzo and for our entree Chicken Toscano paired with garlic smashed potatoes, carrots and asparagus. 

We chose our cake last weekend and it will be a marbled cake with hazelnut butter cream filling....It's all coming together!

Exercise: 10 Min "stepping" and free weights & 10 Min Zumba

After a long day, I was going to try to "step" and do abs tonight, but I was beat.  I was going to go straight to bed but I wanted to do something to complete my step goal.  So I did another arm workout while getting some steps in, then I did 10 min (3 songs) of the first Zumba video I posted yesterday.  I think I should invest in some Zumba DVDs or take a class.  The only reason why I'm not quite ready to take a class is because we are trying to save money for the wedding and I'm not sure if I want to add that expense right now.  But I digress...I'm proud of myself for getting up and doing something even though I was exhausted.  I hope all my hard work pays off!


I think I am growing weary of my salad jars.  I know I can mix it up though.  Maybe I will make a southwest or Asian style salad jar instead?...or...

To my readers: What is your favorite healthy go-to for lunch that is easy to prepare ahead of time? Doesn't have to be salad, but I like a balanced meal that will keep me full for a couple hours.  Please share your ideas and recipes with me!! 

Thursday roundup: 1545 calories eaten / 381 calories burned / 7612 Steps taken



Until next time :) Mandie
















2 comments:

  1. Your reception food sounds amazing! Just saying...

    My favorite things for lunches are:
    Fresh fruit-I always bring a couple of Cuties because they are 35cal each and yet high in Vitamin C and sweet so it is like a dessert for me.
    Cottage cheese with goldfish crackers-A cup of cottage cheese (4% milk fat) is 220cal and 22g of protein. That part is huge because it fills you up. I like goldfish crackers because I like something crunchy in my cottage cheese. 24 goldfish is 61 cal.
    I also have a snack around 2pm of about 200cal-one of my Zone bars.

    Side note: I had Jimmy Johns on Wednesday and with the modifications I make to my go to Beach Club (no mayo) it is a 680cal sandwhich. If I made it an unwhich it would have been 350ish. Note to self-do that from now on!!! What a waste of calories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like soups and stews (because they make you feel full) and wraps and tacos made with corn tortillas or regular sized whole wheat tortillas rather than the giant burrito ones. You can fill them with shredded chicken, turkey slices, black beans, or any other low-fat protein and use hummus instead of mayo. And, fresh fruits for dessert like the cuties that Jen mentioned or a handful of chocolate covered almonds.

    ReplyDelete