Tuesday, January 27, 2015

NO you cannot have the kids meal!

Days Until the Wedding: 74
Pounds Lost: 10lbs


Well, we made it through Monday and  we're one step closer to the weekend! Today's blog is packed with recipes.  Every single meal I had today I've provided a recipe for, but before we get into that... 



Let's talk about how excited I am that I am starting receive RSVP cards in the mail!! Anyone who has received my invitation might not have noticed something about the RSVP card that is unusual.  Yeah... I forgot to put a line for declines... Whoopsies.  So either I'm forcing everyone to come, or I'm going to have to make some phone calls! 

For anyone who is asking what is the chicken dish, and what is the vegetarian dish and what is the kids meal?  Here it is: 

Chicken: Chicken Toscano - Chicken breasts topped with roasted peppers and onions in a white wine sauce, with asparagus, carrots and garlic smashed potatoes

Vegeterian: Pasta Primavera with a tomato cream sauce

Kids (12 & Under): Chicken fingers with french fries

And for the MILLIONTH time. NO you cannot get a kids meal unless you are a kid.  Sure it was funny the first two or three times I heard it...but apparently all my friends and family have the same sense of humor.  -__- Plus If you want the kids meal that also means you're foregoing the open bar. Just saying.

Alright here was yesterday's food adventures...

Breakfast:


Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Smoothie - 448 Calories
This is the best smoothie I have made yet. So delicious and though it is 448 calories there is 23g of protein and kept me full all morning to lunch. 

Here's the breakdown:

1/4 c Rolled Oats
1 T Chia Seeds
1 C - Skim Milk
1/4 c Light & Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Cocoa Powder
1  medium banana
1 T Creamy Natural Peanut Butter

1. Ground the oats and Chia seeds into a fine powder in your blender.  The finer you grind it, the smoother you drink will be.  
2.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.  
3. Chill in the fridge for a couple hours, or even better, over night.  
4.  Shake when ready to drink, add a straw, and enjoy.  

Lunch:


Asian inspired Salad Jar - 285 Calories

Ingredients in layer order:
1 T Chopped peanuts
5 chopped baby carrots
1 chopped stalk of celery
1/3 chopped green pepper
2 T chick peas
3.5 oz Sauteed Chicken 
2 Cups Spring Mix

Dressing - 18 Calories (1 Tablespoon at the bottom of the jar)

3 Garlic Cloves
1 chopped green onion
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 T Rice vinegar
1 T Low sodium soy sauce
1 T sesame oil

Put everything in you blender and blend until smooth and emulsified.  I actually used my immersion blender.  Incredibly flavorful dressing-- but you will definitely need a piece of gum after lunch!

Dinner:



Miso Swai with Cauliflower Mash and Sauteed Eggplant
Miso Swai Fillets-160 Calories per serving
Ingredients:
2 - 4oz Swai Fillets defrosted

Glaze:
2 T Trader Joe's light Miso
1 T Soy Sauce
1 T Sesame Oil
1 T Honey

1. Mix all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.  
2.  On your swai fillets use a basting brush or spoon spread the glaze on one side of each fillet.  
3.  In a lightly oiled pan/skillet heated on medium high heat, place your swai fillets glaze side down and cook about 3-4 min.  
4.  While one side is cooking spread glaze on the uncovered side of the fillet
5. Flip the fillets and cook another 3-4 min until done

Swai is an awesome mild white fish to try and cooks up SO fast.  It's very inexpensive too! 

Cauliflower Mash - 64 Calories per 1 cup serving

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. Steam cauliflower until tender 
2. Transfer cauliflower to a bowl and add remaining ingredients
3. Use immersion blender to blend your cauliflower until smooth or desired consistency
4. Serve

If you are using a regular blender, you will probably have to blend the cauliflower in batches and then add in the remaining ingredients at the end because you don't want it to explode out of your blender.  

Cauliflower mash is amazing.  I think it tastes SO similar to mashed potatoes that I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.  Like mashed potatoes you can add in or top it with whatever you'd like but it's way less calories! I encourage everyone to try it.  Cauliflower is SUCH a good substitute for some of my favorite carbs, and it's become one of Tony's too.  He didn't even like cauliflower before I started cooking it! 

Sauteed Eggplant - 84 Calories per 1 cup serving

1 Medium eggplant cubed
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 T Low sodium soy sauce
1 T Sesame oil
1 Green onion chopped

1.  Add garlic to a lightly oiled pan and saute on medium heat for 2-3 min until fragrant and lightly browned.  
2. Add eggplant, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Saute stirring occasionally for 15-20 min until eggplant is tender.  
3.  Add green onion at the end and saute another few minutes
4. Serve

I just read an article that said Eggplant is a low calorie food that keeps you full.  It's a great source of fiber, vitamin B1, copper and potassium.  I honestly prefer the Chinese eggplant rather than the Italian eggplant.  I just feel like it's more tender and cooks much more quickly.  Of course I also love it when it's dipped in egg and fried...hmmm maybe I can try to do a low calorie tortang talong (my Filipino readers might appreciate this).

How am I doing on my goals?

  • Do 45 min of Cardio and 15 min of targeted training - AT LEAST 3 times a week
Ok, so yesterday I started doing some jumping jacks...I did 100 to be exact. And then I was going to do abs... And again. I got lazy.  I know, boo on me.  TONIGHT. I promise you guys I will get a workout in.  Or...Someone suggest some sort of "punishment" for me.
  • Find alternative post-workout snack/smoothie *The one I have now is only 155 calories with almond milk, but I've seen others that are less.  Also, I have to research more on this whole "multi-release" protein deal.  Someone said if I'm only have one shake a day that's what I need...  I don't know what it means... Maybe someone can elaborate on this for me?
Have yet to research this.... anyone out there have suggestions?
  • Take body measurements to enter into MyFItnessPal
Also will do this tonight!
  • Research metabolism boosting breakfast options
This will be on a blog this week!
  • REALLY try to get 8 hours of sleep a night
Sunday night I got 7 h 20 min, last night I got 6hr and 57 min....I'm doing better than last week!
  • Try not to stress about the wedding
All my bridesmaids have their dresses! Now we have to work on the church stuff!

Question of the day: 

If you were a shoe...what kind of shoe would you be? Where would you go...where have you been? What would be stuck on the bottom of you?

Monday's breakdown:

1204 Calories Eaten / 64 Calories burned / 4111 Steps Taken

Catch y'all tomorrow! 
xo mandie

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Did you see the article I posted on Facebook about the different types of protein powders and their pros/cons? Here it is if you missed it: http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/best-protein-powders-smoothies?adbid=10152994984191469&adbpl=fb&adbpr=87494991468&cid=socFO_20150124_39352837

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipes!
    Shoe - slingbacks
    Since I never throw shoes away...everywhere.
    Bottom of my shoe - hopefully not toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun blog! I love your recipes! I got married recently and document my weigh loss journey too. It was really motivating and helped to keep me accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try your breakfast!

    If I were a shoe...I would be an old running shoe, having accomplished a 5k, 10k, half marathon, and full marathon but now get resorted to comfy footwear status. A metaphor for life.

    ReplyDelete